The History of Mud Street in
Eureka Springs Arkansas
We are in what the locals call "Underground Eureka". Our building was built in 1888, and at that time we were street level. There is a spring that runs underneath us that in the late 1800's kept flooding the street, thus the name "Mud Street".
The street has since been built up, putting our level down a flight of stairs. We have wonderful old limestone walls, large wooden beams, and stained glass lighting.
The centerpiece of our dining room is a turn of the century oak bar with beveled mirrors. We have wonderful local art on our walls, oak tables and chairs, victorian carpet and a cozy sitting area with magazines and newspapers.